Pages

2/28/2013

Fashion in the UAE

Fashion is a concept deeply included in Dubai's everyday life. Fashion is in your local coffee shop, fashion is in your mall, fashion is on your DXB Twitter timeline. I receive daily notifications (or "suggested posts") on Facebook, and i start getting mails for whatever events in my inbox.

"If I go to the gym here? nope, I mean, I did go at the beginning when I moved, but mainly because it was too hot to do anything outdoor sports. But seriously, even at the gym the girls are super fashion, they all look super nice, with the latest fashionable outfit, it's almost unfair. Remember the feeling when you are exhausted, when you are sweaty and stuff, while the girls around just look perfect?! Well that's what I feel here at all time. Yes in a way I am quite disconnected with it, seriously, who needs to put high heels to get a coffee at Starbucks downstairs?!"

This is what I used to answer when I moved some months ago. I still had a few kilos to loose, my house was still crossing the world on a container, and thus I had only a suitcase of clothes from Denmark to make my way through Fashionland.

Since then, I used the gym, I went running, I go to the pool, I even tried biking. I did a 10k race, I consider pushing it again to 21. I want to go back dancing. Oh, and I lost my 2 kilos.

Since then I packed my winter cloth into boxes. I bought skinny jeans, I even have a new pair of flashy pink heels-platforms. I wear dresses, i wear short shortpants = i show my knees to the world. I bought a bikini, I even wear it on the beach. Last but not least, I WEAR COLOURS.

I follow fashion weeks, I read people magazines. Each time I reach the Dubai Mall, i look forward to buying the latest edition of Vogue.

Man, what did this play do to me?! I know I am far from being a fashionista, but...

And to prove that fashion is everywhere: Last week was the  International Defence Exhbition and Conference, IDEX, in Abu Dhabi. There you could see the latest news in terms of weapons, tanks, planes, defence items, etc...And apart from trying the latest shotgun, you could also see...a fashion show:

"ABU DHABI // A 16-tonne armoured army vehicle has been given a bling makeover for Idex – painted gold, chrome and bronze and covered in Swarovski crystals [...] It was created by Gavin Rajah, a couture designer to celebrities such as Beyonce and Cameron Diaz."
(see the full article from The National here)

And if you doubt my words, here is what it looked like. Yep, fashion in the world of weapons. I'm still looking for the logics behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment