Pages

2/10/2013

"And do you know many people there?"

This question is probably the most passive-aggressive question that i have been asked so far since i moved to the UAE last summer. It does not mean that people got enclined to know how low my social network has been so far, but rather whether i am merging well in a complete new setting where theoretically women do not have a place (seen from outside of course). I know this comes with very warm intentions and positive concerns, but asking the same question again and again often reminds me that my friends are not here.

"Yeaaah i do know some people, of course through my husband, but I really like them and i think we're bonding  quite well. But of course things will move on as soon as I find a job, I mean, I did not really meet anyone while I was telecommuting for 6 months. I know things will change as soon as I actually have a proper office life, it's not like I can really meet people elsewhere."

And do you know any locals?

"Well not really actually, I mean of course you'll mainly find expats in Dubai, and you actually mean them in a regular social context. I've met some at the gym, but you can't really connect while doing aerobics or pilates..."

So what do you do then when you don't work?

This question generally comes straight after the social life one, as people generally get stuck with the Disneyland impression. Yes it's easy to spend money in Dubai, and i cannot count the number of kilometers i've walked through the Dubai Mall, Mall of the Emirates and Ibn Battuta Mall. No i did not go skiing, and i haven't seen a real camel race yet. Yes i've seen pinguins, i've seen the Palm, but dune driving in the desert makes me sick.

It's February, and i start realizing that I am lucky, even spoiled, to be here. I might regret it when the summer heat strikes back, but until then, the sky is blue, the sea is darker blue, and smoking a shisha with a friend as the sun goes down over the Wavebreaker is priceless.


No comments:

Post a Comment