Pages

2/07/2013

"And it's not too hot there"?

The logical follow-up of the previous conversation is to discuss about the weather.

I've been used to discuss weather items since my stay in Denmark, as weather-talks are probably the most common generalist discussion starter you can have with introverted Danes. At first you really wonder why you discuss about the clouds, rain and snow; this goes however until it becomes a part of you, until you can recognize the different degrees in cold wind and "chill factor" in winter, until you can control your bike in slushy snow. Then you just rock the weather-talk.

I move on then in the "how is Dubai" conversation:

"Oh well, you know I actually moved to Dubai in the middle of the summer in June, and it was very hard, like 45°, even 48° one day, i can tell you this was super tough for me to manage! Seriously man, for few months the temperatures here were twice higher than in Europe, crazy! I also like rain, wind, clouds, and here it's been always blue sky! Moreover, I just moved before the Ramadan, so no right to eat and drink in public, by this temperature i got sick couple of times, i almost collapsed once outside!" (a bit exagerated of course but that's what people want)

"Once in a while i even got so excited to see clouds that I would even take pictures to prove it!":



"But you know, as soon as it's winter, it's actually getting fresh, stormy and even rainy! (here it's time to face your friends laughing at you using the word" cold") You even need to wear a jacket at night, especially because we're close to the sea, and it's super common to get the flu around! It can easily snow on the mountains in the desert, and here, when it rains, their evacuation systems are so not used that it's common to have floods in the streets! I'm even not talking about how people drive, they have no idea how to behave when it rains, so they often get stuck in the water, not even mentionning all the accidents around!"

Another time I take my phone out of my pocket to illustrate my point with another picture:


My husband justifies the fact that I am cold these days by a satisfactory answer: I am obviously getting used to the weather here. It sounds good indeed, especially considering that i have lost my heat-related swollen figure. But to be honest, I am already dreading the coming summer. Not that i plan to remain at this level, but being a housewife when you cannot be outside is hell. Being housewife itself (when you do not feel to be one) is no real fun actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment