Pages

2/05/2013

Addressing the housewife life

When my husband and I first discussed the idea to move to Dubai after couple of years spent in Scandinavia, i clearly said "I am not moving there to become a housewife". After all, i had a job I liked (I just had been promoted), a great group of friends and colleagues, and a place that i turned into a peaceful cocoon.

a year and a half and a wedding later, i decided to take a big step and join him in the UAE and thus say goodbye to my relatively quiet and risk-free life. Me, the "non-housewife" girl, turned into one as soon as my residence permit got approved. It was there, clearly stated in my visa: I was a housewife, amongst all of those who made it a lifestyle choice and those who did not really have a choice.

After 6 months tele-comuting with my previous company, i finally reached the moment when my contract ended. Strange to turn a far-away page after 4 years in the same company, but technically one of the best moves I made to finally move on and look into the future in the eyes with no regrets.

I am now in the phase where  my "housewife" status is particularly real considering i could only spend my day going shopping, drinking a coffee in JBR or even just doing nothing if i really wanted to. But  I still don't feel like one, and I am looking for a job at the moment. Kinda. I mean, I should be calling agencies rather than writing this article, but it's also good to express oneself once in a while. And I am of an optimistic nature, I believe things will be fine if you keep your head up and that all happens for a certain reason. Inch'allah like they often say here.

So here are some insights on "my expat life" as a housewife in Dubai, hoping to share with you my experience as well as some tips that i hope will be useful to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment